Friday 24 January 2014

A bookmark in filet tatting

I'm just back in Singapore, after a few weeks spent hanging out with my family in Wales, UK. While in Wales, I took the opportunity to join the Seaside Shuttles of Penarth for a tatting session. They meet on the second Wednesday of every month at the home of their leader and teacher, Sylvia Free. This time, we tatted one of Sylvia's own designs, a bookmark inspired by filet crochet. Afterwards, I finished the bookmark, and here it is!

Filet tatted bookmark. Design by Sylvia Free of Penarth, Wales


The filet grid is done in chains, but the 'leaves' running down the middle are rings. (If I do this bookmark again, I'll do it in flat colours, then the leaves will show up much better.) If you'd like to find out more, I can put you in touch with Sylvia.

I used Lizbeth Wildflower Garden, Size 40. I modified the top of the bookmark so I could add my usual super-long tail — though this is a lockstitch chain rather than the twisted threads I've been doing so far.

7 comments:

  1. What a fabulous bookmark!!! :) Great colors!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting to learn a new technique. The thread is pretty, but perhaps it doesn't show the technique off clearly enough, so I look forward to seeing a plainer version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back, Grace. Interesting bookmark!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone! I agree that plain threads would better showcase the technique. Now that I'm home, I have the threads I would like to use for that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you had a good journey home, beautiful bookmark, yes a plain colour would show the pattern better but it's still a lovely bookmark in those colours. I love the pattern and the technic used. Did you get all the books you wanted.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have family in Wales too - Bridgend! I didn't know you had a blog, have just followed the link from intatters. I would love to have Sylvia's contact details, since the bookmark is a really interesting design, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have sent you an e-mail - hope you and Sylvia can connect!

      Delete